Monday, February 2, 2009

Am I A Representative for Gen Y?

Generation Y, iGeneration and "Gen Why?".  These are some of the nicknames for my generation and I must say, there are some things I cannot deny are irrovocably true; but there are other things, that just plain out upset me.  

My ipod is always on hand.  I text as much as possible.   And I also like to question if certain things are necessary.  I even, yes, have a good measure of respect for authority.

Life revolves around my extra cirricular activities to make me a more well-rounded person and I make work fit around that.  I am slightly pressured to do well in school and in my everyday life because I know, when I graduate college, the economy will not be in the greatest state.  
The only funny thing, is that I put more of these pressures on me than my parents do.  
They just want me to be happy.

I believe that I am Generation Y, that I would rather wear comfortable clothes and flip flops to work rather than what some would call a "stuffy monkey suit".  
I also believe that our generation should not be necessarily held responsible for having happy, wonderful childhoods.  Maybe our parents told us that we can always win, that we're special and that we can be anything we want to be because they didn't get enough of that when they were children?  

But of course, Mr. 60 Minute Man failed to address that possibility.

For as much as we supposedly put ourselves in front of everything, according to a Generation Y study, Gen. Y appears to spend more time with our parents and family.  Despite the growth in divorced parents.

As far as the work environment goes, I completely agree with the fact that we don't want work to control our whole lives.  We might come in with the attitude of "if I don't like this place, I'll find somewhere else to go", but I think that's fine.  We work hard, and we might as well enjoy where we are.  Maybe we want to be happy in all aspects of our lives; instead of thinking of going to a crummy job where we'd rather do anything else than go there for most of our day.  USA Today addresses this in an article, "Generation Y:  They've arrived at work with a new attitude".  I don't think there's anything wrong with enjoying your job. 
We also keep our lines of communication open when we're at the workplace.  Again, I don't see anything wrong with this.  So many people take their work home with them, so why can't we take home with us to work?  

As long as this doesn't affect our work.  Working as a hostess, I cannot have my phone on with me.  Texting my boyfriend while I'm seating guests would look bad, and I do not want to affect my place of employment negatively.

Living at home...hmm I mean, isn't is a smart move financially?  No one wants to be put in a bad financial position by moving out because they feel obligated.  Not everyone stays at home though.  I myself, am practically moved out because I only see my family about four months out of the entire year because I live six hours away.

Does the Baby Boomer Generation think all of our lives are like the movie Step Brothers?





For most of us, this isn't reality.  No matter how much Baby Boomer Generation wants to believe it.  

My advice for older generations would be to try and open your minds.  Our generation is evolving.  We have more effective ways of living, and if they try, they might learn something new and exciting.

Everyone should be able to enjoy and appreciate the more effective ways of living.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim - I love your quote, "So many people take their work home with them, so why can't we take home with us to work?" I've never heard it put quite like that before, what a valid argument!

    ReplyDelete