Sunday, February 8, 2009

Why Would I Want to Feel Like I'm Being Spied On?

I do not own a smartphone.  Yes, I want one;  I'm even determined enough to plan to have it by April of this year.  
But do I want an application that gives me and others in my Gmail account an application that let's them know where I am (and vice versa)?
.....Not really.

For our GenY article, I chose "Did Google Just Kill All Other Mobile Social Networks?".  Before I read the article, the title caught my attention.  I knew about Google making a phone with certain applications, but after I was done reading this article, I was completely turned off by it.

The article cover the topic of Google having a type of applications for their phones called "Latitude".  Latitude makes it possible for the owner to view where people can view where their "friends" from their Gmail addresses, RSS readers and people who read their blogs to see exactly where they are.  
I find this slightly creepy.

I appreciated that the article covered the issue of "our real friends aren't all the readers or in our Gmail account address list--they're on social networks like MySpace and Facebook".
This would be Google's downfall because if someone's real friends aren't on Gmail or don't read their blogs.Reviewing this article even more, it addresses that this would give a "Big Brother" feel to anyone in possession of this.  Latitude doesn't even allow chat conversations (yet), just the "comfort" of knowing where your "friends" are, at all times.And this goes to the title of this post, 'Why Would I Want To Feel Like I'm Being Spied On?'.  There are all kinds of people in this world, some not very mentally stable as others.We joke about things over social networks like "Facebook stalkers" (someone who views other people's Facebook profiles, whether they're friends or not), but what about real stalkers?Will Google take responsibility for something to go as sour as that?I, for one, will steer clear from Latitude.  For now at least, until it improves and it's possible to use Facebook or Myspace instead of Google accounts.

No comments:

Post a Comment